Monday, April 6, 2009

Back on Breast

Well, I wouldn't say that I am exclusively nursing but Wyatt has taken to the breast again. The strike is somewhat over. I had a rough week to say the least pumping, supplementing, and feeding that it completely wore me out. I think my body has shut down. I came to my senses and said that it was okay if Wyatt liked the bottle more than me. It wasn't like he hated me by not eating breastmilk, he just likes how fast the milk gets to him in the bottle.

I have since stopped pumping and now my milk supply will suffer so we may be switching to formula exclusively. I still try to breastfeed him at every feeding. Sometimes he takes to me the entire time and is satisfied and sometimes he needs a little extra something something. You should see his face when he sees the bottle. It totally lights up and he gets a little grin. If Wyatt is happy, then I'm happy. Plus, I'm a whole lot happier not having to pump every 5 seconds. I admire those that can pump away. Whenever I pumped I would get very little so to me it wasn't worth all the torture.

Thanks for all your comments. They really helped. I realized that every kid is different. Wyatt has always been a "snacker" so I think my milk supply was just enough to feed Wyatt when he was younger so as he grows and needs more I don't have enough. I wish I had enough for him and the neighbors but I don't so we are on to trying something new and different.

Wish us luck!

3 comments:

lrbodine said...

Good luck! I think the most important thing to remember is what's best for Wyatt. And while I'm sure it's hard - you're still being a wonderful mom by giving him what he needs (whether it is breastmilk or formula). I could never do that pumping either! It's hardwork!

Lara said...

Kate, I am sorry it didn't work out how you hoped! Sometimes nursing isn't the best - Halle won't take a bottle at all and wants to nurse every 3 hours. It makes it really hard to leave her for any extended period of time (even to do a full session at the temple). It has been a long 9 months! I feel grateful to have a good milk supply but it's hard to not have the option of leaving her/giving her a bottle.
Your little guy has such a great smile! What a great combination of you and Jason.

These Are The Days said...

How is it you have no problem saying the "b" word so much? No wonder I had such a problem "b" feeding my boys...they probably sensed my embarrassment! :)